Wali ul Asr provides an environment where students do not have to choose between becoming practicing Muslims, successful professionals and responsible Canadian citizens. This school develops future Muslim leaders who, from a young age, are trained to excel religiously, academically and in extracurricular activities.
To fulfill its mission, Wali ul Asr is committed to meeting the following key objectives:
- To create an Islamic environment where students can learn to lead their lives according to the teachings of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and the Ahlul Bayt (a).
- To promote a high level of academic excellence by developing the student’s character and building leadership skills.
- To prepare students to lead an integrated life within the larger Canadian society, while being ambassadors of Islam in their professions.
- To teach the Islamic values of good manners, mutual respect, peace, kindness, love and tolerance so they become role models in the global community.
- To encourage participation in extra-curricular activities for the development of a well-rounded student personality.
It is our vision that students graduating from Wali ul Asr Learning Institute will:
- Have a clear moral compass based on the teachings of the Ahlul Bayt (a) and use it to make good decisions throughout their life.
- Be fluent in English, Arabic and French.
- Have excellent mathematical skills and scientific knowledge.
- Have valuable personality traits including strong leadership and communication skills.
- Become responsible citizens who will be ambassadors of our faith and a source of pride for our community.
Wali ul Asr is a federal, non-profit organization that was registered in October 2007, opening its doors to students in September 2008. We started with an initial capital of $150,000, provided by individuals who believed in investing in our future generations. The school was started with 50 students ranging from JK to grade 5, to whom we made a firm commitment to provide quality education in an Islamic environment. The Wali ul Asr team consisted of 3 directors, 10 volunteers and 6 employees. The directors took a religious oath never to benefit from the project personally and to execute their duties purely for the pleasure of Allah (SWT) and His Hujjat (ATFS).
By the grace of Allah (SWT), Wali ul Asr has achieved significant milestones in academic excellence, religious training and character development. With over 750 students from JK to grade 12 and waiting lists on many of our classes, the school has grown tremendously in just a few years. We are a $750,000 organization, and Alhamdulillah, due to the continual support we have received, and continue to receive, we were able to break even within just four years of opening the school.
Wali ul Asr students took part in the standardized provincial examination (EQAO) in Mathematics and English and performed better than the majority of the schools in the area. They also participated in regional competitions and have won multiple awards. Our parents’ satisfaction, measured through anonymous surveys, is over 97%.
Extending beyond the formative years of one’s life, high school is a critical time for students as they face significant peer pressure. This leads to a higher chance of going astray. Unfortunately, the Shia community in Canada has lost influence on a large number of youths in this age group, resulting in significant pain for their families and depriving the community of its future leadership potential.
Wali ul Asr opened the first Shia High School program in September 2012, which extended to three campuses in 2014. By providing an environment where students can focus on learning, students are granted every opportunity to reach their full potential. Wali ul Asr is an inspected private school and has been authorized to grant credits by the Ministry of Education for the Central and East campuses.
Wali ul Asr has also organized some of the largest and most successful events held by any Shia organization in Canada. Our team today consists of 1 head, 3 directors, 5 senior leadership members, 5 board of advisors, 90 employees and over 100 youth volunteers.
Wali ul Asr’s management team consists of successful professionals who have taken an oath to never use the project for any personal benefit. They have committed themselves, for the sake of the Imam (ATFS), to develop future leaders of our community. In the past three years, we have defied all odds and continue to not only meet, but also exceed expectations and milestones. In addition to providing an excellent program to younger children, we have also been able to engage the youth through unique events like the Muslim Carnival and Interfaith Hussein (AS) day, which were driven and managed by the youth and attended by thousands of people.
Other communities in Canada have successfully put an educational infrastructure in place that has resulted in their children successfully integrating within the Canadian society in leadership roles while maintaining their core values. It is high time that we join hands and invest in our youth. You will, Insha’Allah, get the thawab of every good decision made by Wali ul Asr graduates and youth volunteers throughout their lives.